Tuesday 14 February 2012

For Valentine's Day...

As it's Valentine's Day, I thought I'd reward all of you, my wonderful Blog-Followers (I'd say how much I love you all here but I'm not sure you feel the same) by posting a sonnet I've written about the special day especially for you. Please enjoy, and do read with any near-by loved one. Here goes.




The Love of the Loch Ness Monster



On St Valentine’s Day, all pair off
Romance heightened, like a piece by Van Gough
Only one is alone, you'll never guess,
This hurt soul is the monster of Loch Ness
For this poor creature, it's always the same
Swimming solitary; there's no Loch Ness Dame
No scaled Juilet to his green Romeo
But that in the water what's that - Oh!
Nessie's enchanted, like never before
'It's a lady monster no doubt,' he swore!
As he greets his muse, he scares a young boy
For she is just a child's big rubber toy
But Nessie doesn't know, he never saw
He thinks they'll be together evermore

Hope you liked it. What? I wasn't gonna write a straight-forward love poem.
I tried to include some of the 'rules' of the sonnet like the twist in the narrative at the end of line eight/start of line, the last two lines rounding it up and ten syllable lines (although on line seven you have to say 'Rom-yo' to make that work).

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...